TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout I devoured this book. With an interesting premise about light aliens, it’s certainly different from what I’ve read from any paranormal Young Adult before, especially when it comes to love-at-first-sight. Yawn. This was not the case in Obsidian; when Daemon and Katy met, there were undeniable sparks between them, but their eyes were throwing daggers, not dopy looks of love. As a major fan of witty, sarcastic characters, this book delivered on all levels for me. Daemon and Katy have an interesting relationship, one moment they were about to kiss and the next they were about to strangle each other. Katy could stand up for herself and was gutsy, which was a surprise for Daemon, as his super-model looks usually kept dry insults at bay. Katy began to seem fairly shy, and even though I’m not against shy, I do like my fair share of defiant heroines, but I think Daemon brought out the confidence in her simply because he acted like a douche. I enjoyed following Katy’s character, she had a lot I could relate to and a realistic teenage voice, also, she’s a book blogger, why has no one done this before? There were references to certain books in there, and Katy shared my love for comics, graphic novels and paranormal books.

With the typical hot but a jerk male character, there is always a fine line between thinking they’re attractive and generally just disliking them. Just as I was beginning to slide into disliking Daemon, Jennifer made me love him and from then on Armentrout had captured my attention. Daemon was very interesting and mysterious, and with bonus material showing his points of view at the end of the book, I got to see what he was thinking in various chapters. He is a male bad boy character I really enjoyed and I haven’t read his type so well written in a while. Although, he was the typical everyone-is-stunned-by-his-beauty type of guy, but I guess that practically comes with every book, especially YA.

Nothing in this book seemed rushed, it was all so nicely paced! I have problems with pace because I’m really picky. I don’t like things going so slow they’re boring, but I also don’t like things –especially romance- moving too fast that it’s unbelievable. Jennifer knew when to pull me in and raise the tension throughout the whole book, and I was entranced.

Aliens are a great idea and go into sci-fi realms slightly so I wasn’t really sure what I was going to get here. But it didn’t seem to far-fetched and I found myself enjoying something that was completely fresh and it felt like Jennifer was throwing cool new ideas at me. Really enjoyed that part and hope she’s going to bring her game up in the next book.