TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
The Golden Lily - Richelle Mead I actually read this on the day it came out, but I didn’t have a book blog then. Recently I was re-reading it and wanted to share it’s awesomeness.

Bloodlines was the first book in this series, and whilst it was a fantastic book, it was distinctly missing romance. That is certainly not the case in The Golden Lily, we meet a certain barista called Brayden, who is very intellectual like Sydney. This relationship dynamic was utterly hilarious, both of them were completely clueless when it came to social cues, especially in a romantic social clues.

“I was going to have to research kissing.”

It wasn’t just about Brayden and Sydney though, I can confirm there is also Adrian and Sydney scenes that made me catch my breath. Adrian is so witty, everything he says has me laughing and the way he interacts with Sydney is adorable. He’s gotten Keith’s apartment and is sorting his life out considerably, growing as a character nicely.

The secondary characters such as Eddie, Jill, Angeline are still up to their usual shenanigans, with Sydney cleaning up their messes. Jill has come a long way from Bloodlines, she didn’t rely on Sydney with every little thing and I liked her a lot more than I previously did.

Sydney also has more interactions with Mrs Terwilliger, with her initial alchemist views on magic being challenged. Sydney isn’t as repulsed by Vampires as she once was, and she’s realised that they aren’t as evil as the Alchemists made her believe. That doesn’t mean that she’s going to show that to her supervisors anytime soon, but she treats the Vampires like actual people, not evil monsters. Sydney’s developing as a character, she’s taking action to protect herself and not rely on others. By no means is she Rose Hathaway, but she isn’t sitting around waiting to be saved by the Guardians. Many people say they can relate more to Sydney than Rose, because people don’t tend to be able to relate to Rose’s overall badass personality. However, Sydney’s badass too and is very intellectual with cute quirks which made me smile.

Another book by Richelle Mead that I loved, the storylines are quirky and funny, like the entire book doesn’t take itself too seriously, but with serious undertones. This is where Richelle lulls her fans into a false sense of security, I have no doubt she’ll rip our hearts out in the next couple of books.