TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
Dare You To - Katie McGarry Print Length: 470 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0373210639
Publisher: MIRA Ink (22 May 2013)
Source: Netgalley (This has in NO way affected my honest review)
Goodreads
Dare You To was such an enjoyable read! It had it all: internal conflict and external conflict, with really well done character development considering it’s only over one book. It’s written in both Ryan’s and Beth’s POV, which made it easier to empathise with Ryan and see the story from a bigger perspective.

Beth has issues. Not that that’s surprising considering her home situation. She has trouble with trust, abandonment, love, relationships in general, and the list goes on. Ryan’s life looks perfect to Beth, but as she looks closer she can see the cracks.

There are so many plot lines going on that keeps this book well-paced, yet not too taxing to read. It’s a fantastic, well written story with brilliantly complex and tortured characters. Beth was on the precipice of annoying me because of her trust issues, but if she’d trusted Ryan any quicker, it would be unrealistic. It’s not a light-hearted, fluffy book, it gets really quite gritty considering it’s a YA romance and contemporary.

Dare You To has got the malicious ex-girlfriend, muscley jocks, humour, and every kind of relationship strains. So many messed up relationships: Beth and her Uncle, Beth and her mother, Beth and her best friend, Beth and Ryan. Ryan and his brother, Ryan and his mother and father. All of these relationships were tested and brought to the fore-front at least once in Dare You To, really exploring their dynamics. I probably liked it so much because of of the complex characters and relationships—which I’m a sucker for.

I didn’t particularly like Beth or relate to her much, but I appreciated her character. That rarely happens to me, if I can’t relate to the character, I’ll probably stop reading. If can’t find an emotional connection, I simply won’t bother. I empathised for Beth, and enjoyed her character, but I’m not sure I would want to be her best friend or anything. She was very tough and goth-girl, she had to put on this persona because of her terrible upbringing. I liked Ryan a lot more, because he was more simple, yet still had deep problems. I could relate to him more for some reason.

I could go on more about this book because there is so much that goes on and so much to discuss, but I won’t!

Rating: B+ I would like to give this an A, but I don’t feel like it’s affected me enough, or been one of the best books I’ve ever read. Otherwise, hiiighly enjoyable and tense read. With shockingly true events and oh-so complex characters. Can’t wait to read the next in the series!