TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
Forsaken by the Others - Jess Haines After the events of the previous novels, Shiarra Waynest finds herself facing the consequences of her skewed judgement. We are taken away from all the key characters, and Shiarra and her best friend Sara go together to another city. Forsaken by the Others was an enjoyable read, however it lacked in some key aspects that let it down.
I would have liked to see more Royce in this book, after the beginning he’s not really in it at all. I never like it when the author mixes things up and takes them to another setting, because it means we never get to see our favourite minor characters. The only good thing was we had the additional characters–The White Hats, who I really liked–probably because I like werewolves.
This book never got going for me, I was never in suspense about the plot, and nothing exciting or shocking happened enough. I enjoyed the idea of it, however the way it was executed didn’t keep me as intrigued as I’d have liked.
Shia was an interesting character, but it was never quite cleared up what was going on with her and if she was turning into a supernatural being. Her relationship with Royce wasn’t developed well enough either, or explored at all after the first few chapters. I thought she was refreshingly realistic, she didn’t pretend to be something she wasn’t and fight Vampires, or get herself in too deep in situations she knew she couldn’t handle. She’s a private investigator, not a fighter. The thing is, that’s usually where things are made interesting–when the heroine mucks up. Her voice was down-right hilarious at times and very dry, the way she was written was incredibly entertaining.
The world was the most intriguing aspect, it had vampires, werewolves, zombies and a hint of something else as well. I liked the characters, the setting, the supernatural elements, however I am not keen on how I kept waiting for the plot to thicken, but it never did. The pacing was too slow for me. I really loved the writing, and the voice of Shia, it was sarcastic and witty, and made observations that were so funny to read.
It sounds like I didn’t enjoy it from this review, but I did, it was simply the lack of suspense and slow pace that ruined it!
Rating: C+ Fantastic world and funny voice, but the plot left something to be desired.