TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
Shadows - Paula Weston I was not expecting to enjoy Shadows as much as I did because I’ve had a bad experience with Angel novels lately, however it was very enjoyable.
Shadows was so easy to read, not only was the book nice and floppy–I like floppy books!–but I would get immersed in this world and later realise that I’d read 150 pages or so, which is a lot for a slow reader like me.
I love books where you’re thrown into a story because there’s a lot about the characters past that you don’t know. It also means that the world-building can go terribly wrong, because the narrator is not new to the story, yet it needs to be explained to the reader. However, Weston cleverly avoided this by having the best of both worlds and giving Gaby a memory problem, meaning she’s learning the world with us, but technically, she’s not new. This hopefully means that Weston can give us some prequel novellas and some insight into the story before Shadows, because she very carefully gave us enough information to keep me begging to know more about Gaby’s past. I desperately want to know the past between her, Daniel and Rafa; and also Gaby and her brother Jude.
Gaby was an interesting character, because she had no idea who she was, exactly. She had little memory of her former life, and she was grieving for her twin brother. Although Gaby is 18, and this could technically be described as a YA novel, I really think it’s more of a Paranormal Romance, simply in the way it’s been written. Gaby was fairly helpless in this book, because fair enough, she’s forgotten all of her fighting skills. She’s not very savvy about this new world or how to fight. I really want to see her training with Rafa in the next instalment because I don’t like my heroines completely useless! Rafa reminds me of Daemon from Jennifer L. Armentrout’s Lux series, arrogant and not entirely explained yet. I can’t wait to see more of his character!
The pace of Shadows starts off fairly slow, and gains speed about 100 pages in, but I feel this series has yet to reach it’s full potential. I think Weston has a lot more in store for the next book. I hope that as the series goes on, more plot twists are revealed, as there were quite a few in Shadows that kept me entertained.
I don’t think the world-building was that extensive, possibly not to overload us, but I’d really like to know more about the world.
Overall, I really enjoyed Shadows and I flew through it!
Rating: 4 Stars
For more reviews like this visit: http:www.hardcoreheroines.co.uk