TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
Divergent - Veronica Roth This book was incredibly intense from beginning to end, there was always something happening and once I got roped in, I didn’t stop reading.
There are five factions in this dystopian world:
Abnegation—the selfless
Erudite—the intelligent
Candor—the honest
Dauntless—the brave
Beatrice was born in Abnegation, and is told never to ask questions, respect your elders, don’t look in the mirror and always help others–no matter the cost to you. She must wear gray robes, so she’s not separating herself from anyone or being individual and to not show much skin. To Beatrice, this never came naturally, and she found herself growing up constantly having to remind herself of these rules. They may seem weird, however Abnegation believe these rules make them utterly selfless. These five factions are how their community live in peace, with no murder and because all the council members are Abnegation, also no corruption.
Beatrice is sixteen and soon she will have the choice of leaving abnegation and joining another faction. That would mean never seeing her family again and being cast out. Before that decision though, her and other sixteen-year-olds to take a test. It is impossible to prepare for and informs their choice considering the type of person they are and how they react in certain situations, however, it’s not compulsory to choose that faction.
The world is so inventive and everything was explained well. With books in dystopian worlds, there’s always the risk of information-dumping, however, I never felt bombarded with information and I was always intrigued. Divergent is compared with The Hunger Games quite a bit, and I would recommend it if you liked The Hunger Games. I think it’s compared because Divergent has factions and lots of ruthless fighting, with corruption. The Hunger Games has districts with ruthless fighting and corruption. However, I believe Roth has brought something different to the table, and once I started to read, I realized that they are very different worlds with completely different characters, but they are both dystopian and that’s where the similarities lie.
I flew through the pages, and before I knew it, I was finished. Page after page, of action, humour and unpredictable things, I was so immersed I didn’t have time to make predictions about how it would end.
The characters were written really well, a few stood out that had a lot of depth and despite the fact this was in first person of Tris’s point of view, I felt huge empathy for other characters.
Tris was amazing, she was strong and took everything in her stride, even when I felt like breaking down and crying for her. She had to grow up a lot, because she wasn’t used to facing the corruption and violence in her comfort home of Abnegation. She was shielded from a lot and just seemed to be going through the motions in life, and then suddenly, she’s jumping from trains and fighting people every single day. Her character was so likeable, she was a little lost, but fighting for what she felt was right and had a witty humour that came out now and again.
The relationship with her father was regrettably distant, he was very self-righteous, but Tris had a lot of support from her mother, who had more secrets than she first appeared to.
Overall it was an engaging book with a strong teenage character, that first drew me in with it’s vivid world.
Rating: 5 Stars