TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.
Once Burned - Jeaniene Frost Ever since a terrible accident, Leila has been able to see peoples past/present/future and can electrocute them without meaning to- all with a single touch. Having deemed herself a freak, Leila travels with a carnival, performing gymnastics with her Vampire friend Marty. Vampires are the only creatures that can touch Leila and not get hurt when zapped with her electricity. Due to her unusual powers, Leila leads a very isolated life, her mother is dead and she barely talks to her father and sister, she doesn’t really have any friends except Marty. When Vampires capture Leila and force her to use her powers to their advantage, Leila accidently reaches out to the one and only Vlad Tepesh, who’s quite surprised by their telepathic encounter.
“That one tickled. If electrocution is your way of flirting, I commend you on your originality.”
Once Burned was an enjoyable read, with sizzling tension between Leila and Vlad all the way through. Leila knows exactly how to annoy Vlad and she got under his skin more than most people could. He is an extremely alpha character which I enjoyed. Mostly. He kept on doing things that irked me. Vlad Tepesh is a distinguishable character, he was also very cold, torturing people etc, and this bothered me at times. Leila and Vlad have a lot of arguments because of that. It meant that even though he was badass Vlad The Impaler, I didn’t quite like him as much. He softened up slightly at the end, but he still has a bit to go before I’m completely sold on him. Having said that, he was an amazing character to read about, he had enough mystery about his past that kept me guessing, but was also very distinct in his actions and personality because he had to live up to the legends. The romance between him and Leila was blazing all the way through.
“People frequently bore me, sometimes amuse me, most often irritate me, but rarely intrigue me.”
It appealed to me that Leila was a gymnast, and this connected to certain areas of her personality that were explored, including her past and her powers. It made her more complex and was done sparingly enough not to distract my attention from the main storyline, yet it kept my interest piqued.
Marty and Maximus are both minor characters that add to the book well, as this book mostly revolves around Vlad and Leila. From the Night Huntress series some complain that Jeanine’s Frost’s Cat and Bones’ relationship is fizzling out, this is certainly not the case here. We do get some cameos from Cat and Bones, and it was very amusing to see him from someone else’s perspective, we also see Mencheres and Keira as well.
With a sizzling romance and characters that kept me glued to the pages, I give this a 4.5 Stars