TillyCurrer

Hardcore Heroines

Teenage book review, reviewing since September 2012. I love reviewing books and reading, I blog at Hardcore Heroines about strong, badass females and hot werewolves and vampires. Kate Daniels and Curran are my kind of people.

Tent City

Tent City - Kelly Van Hull Danielle, her friend Kit, and her brother Brody, escape the chaos of society and the soon impending ‘safety camps’ children are forced to live in. Tent City was an enjoyable Dystopian read that had me interested from page 1. Dani grew throughout Tent City, both physically and mentally, she seemed so much more capable by the end of the book, and I found that satisfying. She doesn’t sit around, something happens to spur her into action and train, so she can protect herself and those she loves.
I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the love triangle between Bentley, Sam and Dani. I knew it was coming. Romance is not a major aspect in Tent City, things are more focused on survival, but it’s undeniably there. It creeps up on you, and I had a definite favourite between two. Sam was swoon-worthy, and had a really sweet relationship with Brody. Secrets and mystery encased both Sam and Bentley, which made them both more appealing, but also quite infuriating. I kept waiting for answers, some of which I figured out and some of which were revealed. There were a couple of loose ends and the ending was quite sudden.
The relationship between Dani and her little brother, Brody, was really cute. Dani did everything she could to protect him, and I knew, she would do anything for him if it came to it. I didn’t entirely relate to her situation, because I’m the youngest and have two older brothers, but I understood the need to protect those you love. It was always her first priority, yet her constant worrying didn’t annoy me, when it has before in previous books.
The world was not the most extensive Dystopia ever, but I don’t think it was meant to be. I liked that it was a cross between natural disaster and our—humans—reaction to it. The majority of the book is set in Tent City, which made it less exciting, but left room to develop the setting and the ideas involving Tent City. I liked the always underlying problem of survival, and I especially loved the waterfall scenes!
The end left me waiting for more, because I wasn’t satisfied with the loose ends and the things that were left. Events were definitely set up for a book 2, and I’d be interested to see what happens– especially with the romance!
Rating; C+ / 3.5 stars